“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Old Photo #164 – Plum Coulee 13


Mayor David Wiebe's yard, with Robins.

This yard holds some curious memories for me. Ken Wiebe was a friend (and, later, rock band co-member). The Plum Coulee ran through the reeds in the foreground of this photo, and it's here that another friend pushed me off the raft at the age of 12 or so. I was caught underneath the raft for some moments – and time of terror for a prairie boy who only experienced 3" of water every Saturday evening. (About 100' to the right of this image is where the son of one of my father's cousins drowned some years later.) It was in the tiny shed on the far right of this photo where I first had my first puff of a cigarette. Other experiences related to growing pains I will keep to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment