“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Old Photo #118 – Julius, the Barber


Today's pick for Old Photograph has been made by Cole. I'm posting from the charmingly simple Ace Motel in Belle Fourche, SD, where Cole and I arrived at 5:30 this afternoon for a couple of days of shooting in the Black Hills and Badlands.

Not surprisingly, he chose an environmental portrait of his great-grandfather, Julius Pelser. As I recall, this photo was taken either at Christmas or Easter. The location was the chair immediately beside the front door entrance to his home on 4th Street, Winkler. (I recently posted a photo of the house.)

While Mr. Pelser needed no help with creating an air of dignity, the snowy white hair and aquiline nose added markedly to his nobility. Quiet and kind, always ready with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment