“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Old Photo #60 – Terry: the Door is Open




On March 17, 2008 our friend, Terry Berg, checked out of this life. A kind, loving & caring man, he felt trapped by his circumstances. He escaped by the only avenue he saw left to him. All the heart-to-hearts we'd had over the years were insufficient unto the day that day.

This photo was taken at a lively Christmas get-together at the home of Jamie MacIver & Flori Ens on Dec. 27, 2006. We had a magnificent time. In fun – and undoubtedly in the 'spirits' of the moment – I took this photo through my empty wine goblet. The metaphor was only realized 14 months later when Terry emptied himself of his burdens.

1 comment:

  1. "Through the glass, darkly"

    I remember this evening very well and still have Terry's infectious laugh ringing in my ears. This shot reminds me of an ethereal picture taken just before the death of my oldest brother John. My siblings and I were gathered in the kitchen, but John was looking through the window from the outside porch.Only a week later he was gone.
    Thanks for sharing this poignant moment with us Gord.

    ReplyDelete