“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Old Photo #64 – Abstract 7




Back in the day, I used to haunt the backroads of southern Manitoba a lot. One unusual find was an abandoned brickworks in the Learys area, a few miles southwest of Roseisle. It was operated by Alsip's and provided the red brick for Manitoba's Legislative Building.

I was truly haunted by the site, and returned a number of times to photograph and poke around in its history. Back in the '70s there was still a lovely home on the property. The cooling vaults still had piles of brick, and the plant still housed rusting hulks of machinery. Pigeons were everywhere, and the surrounding landscape enveloped with a sense of calm and mystery. It may be time to head back in summer to see if any of what was then still remains.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you're going. I'd love to go on a photo hunt with you.
    I'm looking for sites to take pix of our daughter for her grad. There's gotta be a bunch of places around here that would work.

    ReplyDelete