“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Old Photo #83 – Bert Freeman 1


I loved Bert. His weathered, canyoned postman's face told some of what lay beneath: humour, playfulness, caring... and some pain. He was easy to love. He gave so freely of himself – at least that's what my family experienced. He adored my daughter, Jill. She still has a gold-lump necklace he gave her when she was about 2 years old. She has love spoons he carved for her. And there he was in Bexhill-on-Sea and, we, in landlocked Manitoba.

He loved his seaside. He & pooch would head down most every day, metal detector and cigarette-making components in hand, for a spot of exploring. Then up to the local for a pint of Guinness and home to his shop in the backyard, where he fashioned jewelry out of what couldn't be salvaged as either coin of the realm or historic artifact.

2 comments:

  1. I love black and whites. They just seem to have more character for me.
    Keep 'em coming Gord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the excellent site.......
    havenlife@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete