“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Old Photo #90 – Fred Karlenzig's Garage


Another Plum Coulee photograph.

Fred Karlenzig, among other things, was the last caretaker of the Plum Coulee Collegiate. I recall that he had a gruff presentation, but I always found him warm and kind. The perpetual cigarette (I think) and his Hitlerian moustache may have contributed to that impression in a shy boy. My hazy memory tells me that, when once I went to the bathroom with a migraine early on in elementary school, he emerged from his denizen – the boiler room – to offer solace.

During at least one summer, he hired me to cut grass on the school yard.

Mr Karlenzig's garage was 50 yards east of our house, just up the back lane. I believe it's long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment