“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Friday, March 25, 2011

Old Photo #84 – Aboriginal Dancer/'94


In the U.S. – and where and when this was taken – this young man was called an Indian dancer. I don't know that one term is more accurate than the other, as even this fellow's progenitors were not native to North America, if anthropologists are to be believed. Anyway, that's my rant about political correctness for today.

Taken during the closing ceremonies of the 1994 Jimmy Carter Work Project (Habitat for Humanity), a one-week, 30 house build in Eagle Butte, SD, reputed to be the second poorest reservation in the U.S.

Back in the '70s, the photography of Ernst Haas was often featured in magazines of the day. I admired his work of Indian dancers. Here's the first example that popped up in my Google search this morning: http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/3434733/Premium-Archive?Language=en-US

No comments:

Post a Comment