“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Old Photo #11 – Len, the Barber 8


I did a series of environmental portraits of my then father-in-law, Leonard Pelser, (likely) in the late '70s. He was, in fact, a favorite subject of mine. A devoted family man, golfer and woodworker, he fed and raised a family of five on a few dollars per haircut. I seems to me that in his latter years as a full-time barber in the '90s, his fee had risen to the stratospheric sum of $7.

Our friends, Jim & Johanna Rodger, presented me with a bottle of Booster after-shave for Christmas. This gift brought to mind my earliest experiences of that nostalgic fragrance in the hands of Erich Janz, the Plum Coulee barber... which brought to mind this photo of Len. The bottle of Booster is the left-most in the picture.

More background on Pelser's Barber Shop can be found at: http://www.threshermensmuseum.com/pelsers.htm

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful capture of a wonderful man. Rightfully one of your favourite subjects; I wish I had been more interested in 'honest' photography when he was alive. Truly a touching shot, Dad.

    ReplyDelete