“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Old Photo #5 – Peter Paul van Camp 2/'77


Through a quixotic network of social acquaintances, I became a fan of the early Winnipeg Folk Festival before it ever was a festival. As a result, the first half dozen years or more saw me out in Bird's Hill Park the first full weekend of July.

One of the most charming U.S. emigrés to Winnipeg was a performer who claimed Coshocton, OH as his home. A vaudevillian at heart and persona, Peter Paul van Camp (aka Randy Woods) was a perennial favorite. His recitations of poems like "Dairy Products," done in a high, strident voice were, by turns, charming and hilarious.

It was a kinder, gentler time. At least, it felt like a simpler time.

No comments:

Post a Comment