“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Old Photo #20 – Plum Coulee 23


I photographed the 75th anniversary celebration (in '76) of Plum Coulee's founding quite extensively, as I did a number of subsequent anniversaries. To my eye, we just don't see the range of character in peoples' faces these days. On that day in '76, I had just photographed the first "official" coming out of a widow and widower (I'll post that photo soon). I turned and saw this heavily-dressed woman standing in the shade of the former Toews' Meat Market. I'd never seen her before. I imagine she was a recent arrival to Plum Coulee. I feel profound pathos for the chill of isolation I project on her as she observes the festivities from a distance.

1 comment:

  1. HCB would be proud of this one, Dad (among many others).

    ReplyDelete