“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Old Photo #4 – Perry Nodelman/'76


During my second year at University, I met Jeannie Gilbert, who had just immigrated from Bexhill-on-Sea, England. Back then she was an actress and dancer and, over time, she became involved with Cubiculo Theatre Laboratory, a experimental theatre troupe under the direction of U. of Winnipeg English professors, Kay Unruh and Perry Nodelman. One of their most ambitious productions centred on William Blake and incorporated acting, voice, dance and music. It was entitled, "Blake: Seize the Fire."

I had been an enthusiastic supporter of their work from the outset. I don't recall whether I volunteered or was asked, but I became the photographer for the Blake production. A few years ago, my wife, Ruth, and I began attending All Saints' Anglican (Winnipeg) and joined the choir. One of Ruth's alto colleagues is Billie Nodelman. Over time I learned that her husband is Perry. We have come to know them and their offspring socially, much to Ruth's and my enrichment. Recently, Perry gave me a Japanese scarf he'd bought at a sidewalk sale and then made notorious by publishing its poor translations on Facebook. I reciprocated by unearthing my portrait of Perry for the Blake production.

1 comment:

  1. My wife Erin Stewart was in the Blake show with Jeannie and Fred et al. She passed away at the end of July. I have a wonderful rehearsal photograph that may have been taken by you. It would be very meaningful to share more of your work in connection with Seize the Fire while more of the performers are still around.

    ReplyDelete