“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Old Photo #13 – Graffito 8


Having just posted a new image taken with my old Lumix LX1 on onenewphotographperday.blogspot.com, I thought I should reprise some of the LX1's earlier captures.

Ruth had a conference in Toronto in May 2007 and, as often happened, I took time from my business to accompany her. I ambled through Kensington Market on May 12th and happened on a small building in a side lane which had handbills deposited on handbills: a cultural sedimentary deposit.

We got Cole Jonathan Safran Foer's "Tree of Codes" for Christmas. Foer used Bruno Schulz's "The Street of Crocodiles" as the bedrock for his book, then cutting windows in the pages to align the text of one page with various snippets of text from others. The majority of the photos I took of this wall "read" in the same way.

First, however, a stencil of one of America's spooky cinema masters.

2 comments:

  1. Somehow, this looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am blessed that you recognize it. Keep an eye out, you fine French anise-flavoured gentleman; the entire Kensington Market egg is about to hatch here.

    ReplyDelete