“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Old Photo #39 – Voyeur 14


"They say that I won't last too long on Broadway..." So starts the last verse of the 1963 hit by The Drifters. I found this gentleman, lost in his thoughts, on the boulevard at Broadway & Donald in Winnipeg.

His is an attitude of prayer. Curiously, despite a rather busy lunch hour, I captured him virtually alone at that moment, with only he and the two trees to his left in relative focus. As with Old Photo #33, this photo reminds me of another Biblical text, Luke 23:39-43.

While I in no way see the man in this image as a "malefactor," it appears that he's "hanging" on some troubles... and there he is beside two trees, a euphemism for the Roman cross. Okay, enough equivalence – except to wish, even after over 30 years, that this man's prayers were answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment