“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Friday, February 25, 2011

Old Photo #56 – Elevator/Gordon, Manitoba




In the early spring of 1973, I believe, we moved into a rental house in Gordon, MB. Where is this place which bears my un-Mennonite name? The South Interlake area of Manitoba seems to have many Scots/British place-names: Balmoral, Argyle, Gordon, etc.

Gordon is located about 1 miles NW of the junction of Winnipeg's North Perimeter Hwy. and Hwy. #6. Back then, there were three houses and the grain elevator. I'm not sure if anything remains of that once prairie hub today. Like so many other abodes in my nomadic life, we came, we moved in, we set up, we packed, we moved on before winter. In the meantime, some very good – if somewhat more primitive – times were had there, basic amenities lacking as they were. One particularly enjoyable dark night involved having a slide show on the side of the elevator and killing ourselves laughing as cars on the highway slowed or stopped as their occupants tried to determine what was happening.

The summer of 1973 brought huge and destructive wild fires to the forests of northern Manitoba. This particular morning was densely shrouded in smoke that had drifted hundreds of miles south.

No comments:

Post a Comment