“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Old Photo #40 – Greg Symons


This long-time, dear friend is blessedly still very much alive, and as full of p 'n v as ever in his youth. We had a great catch-up chat yesterday, so onto the wall of notoriety he goes.

Greg's father, Desmond Symons, was my boss when we first met in the late '70s. Des had apparently mentioned that one of his charges was a young fellow interested in the arts and that Greg and he might hit it off. Greg recalls that he dismissed the idea, as my four years on his age put me into the near-geriatric camp.

Upon his graduation from the Red River College marketing program, however, Greg took a job with Dominion Securities in our office building and, one day, came up to see Des on a business matter. My desk was just outside Des' office and, happily, the company nurse had just been by to mop the drool from my chin, so the approaching-30 fellow didn't present too badly. We quickly became very close friends and have remained so despite Greg's move to the denizens of Toronto a few years later.

While Greg's professional life has revolved around spinning dollars into gold, his passion for the arts is every bit as ardent as was his father's. Books, CDs and movies artfully festoon the tabletops and rafters of the Symons home. The task now is to get Greg & Kathy up to Ruth's Ridge – or Gord & Ruth to Mississauga – for some feasting and festooning of hugs and camaraderie.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gordola, that look on my face sez it all...clearly chillin' to some fine red wine and listening to a little Firesign Theatre at one of your many Winnipeg digs!
    You're still pretty groovy for an old fart! Looking forward to comparing record collections and choice of Depends in the very near future!! Wowie Zowie!

    ReplyDelete