“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Old Photo #54 – Jim & Igor




All dogs bright & beautiful, all canines great & small, all are wise & wonderful...

A rather free misquote of the old Anglican hymn, but an appropriate opening for an homage to dogs. I just read Malcolm Gladwell's New Yorker article on Cesar Milan two nights ago. It seems that the world falls into two distinct camps when it comes to the dog whisperer. I fall squarely into the admirer's camp and I'll not lay out my reasons, as I'm not interested in debating the issue. Suffice it to say that Gladwell's title, "What the Dog Saw," is what Milan helps dog owners to see.

Yesterday, I had dinner with Jim & Johanna. The pooch who graces their lives these days is Freya, a collie-cross of boundless, bounding energy, yet a gentle and adoring spirit. Her predecessor was Igor, the wonder dog.

During the years I knew Igor, he generally bore himself with the imperial mien of an Aslan. As you can read in the photo, Jim adored Igor.

I am increasingly aware of how a right relationship with a canine can inform our better being. So, to all the dogs who enhance our humanity, my most humble thanks & praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment