“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Old Photo #46 – Hiding on God




To paraphrase the Anglican Book of Common Prayer "Listen to what St. Charles saith..."

The St. Charles Hotel, which still occupies the northeast corner of Notre Dame & Albert in Winnipeg's historic downtown, used to be a hub of activity for certain men every lunch-hour and happy hour. It, along with its counterpart – the Oxford Hotel across the street – was a strip club back in the day. May still be for all I know. At any rate, it was right across Albert Street from my office building, so I passed it often during my lunch-time photo forays. (It was also right next door to the infamous Ken Hong's Restaurant which my son, Cole, tells me recently closed.) One day I noted the message that had been sprayed on the north wall of the St. Charles the night before. I've loved this image from that day for its verisimilitude on a number of levels. Unless the light caught the red paint at an obtuse angle, the words "on God" were virtually invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment