“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Old Photo #41 – Three Views of the Nanton Building




These photos are listed in my scan catalogue as Voyeur 40, 42, and 43. The Nanton Building was one of a number of venerable old structures demolished to make room for the TD Centre (or whatever it is named today) on the northwest corner of Portage & Main.

As part of that infamous intersection's redevelopment, pedestrian traffic was rerouted underground – prompting a division of opinion in the populace that still percolates today. One of the stairs leading underground was outside the entrance to the Nanton Building. I positioned myself on the stairs one lunch hour and photographed the passersby. These images, like Voyeur 30 (posted here early on), were hugely challenging to render because of the tonal range. Not so after scanning.

No comments:

Post a Comment