“I've started this blog… [as] a New Year's resolution to see how close I could get to [reprising] at least one photograph per day for 2011. … I hope you enjoy some of my blasts from the past.”

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Old Photo #43 – Shore Scape 3, Point Lobos, CA




In November, 2005 Ruth & I took a road-trip by car to finish off my photography of Robert Pirsig's ZAMM ride. I had not had the time to photograph the route from Bend, OR to San Francisco as fully as I wanted, and we also had the additional draw of a visit with former Manitoba friends, Teddy & Kathleen Wiebe, who had moved to Clearlake, CA just north of the Napa Valley.

This was Ruth's first trip to California, my third. Both of my previous visits, however, had involved a couple of days in the Los Angeles area, and I really wanted to make a pilgrimage to Carmel, the area in which Edward Weston had spent many creative years. Following our stay with the Wiebes, we drove down the coast with Point Lobos as our destination. We spent a glorious, sunny day exploring the Point, knowing that we would have to head back home as expeditiously as possible: Ruth's mother had pulled herself out of her nursing home bed and was now in hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment